Did you know that the nail is made up of four major parts:
- Cuticle- layer of dead skin which adheres to nail plate. Forms protective seal against bacteria and viruses
- Nail Plate- most prominent and visible part of nail. Although it looks like one piece, it is made of of layers, which are attached to the skin
- Half Moon (lunula)- visible front of matrix which resembles half moon
- Nail Matrix- living part of nail which stems from the root
Nails, just like our hair are made of keratin (sulphur based protein). The nail is dead by the time it leaves the nail matrix. An undamaged nail can grow to as long as 3 mm per month. A finger nail can take anywhere between 4 – 6 months to grow from the matrix to the finger tip. There is a saying, you are what you eat and our nails can often tell us just how healthy we are. In fact, foods that inflame our cells and and cause a break down of collagen, keratin and elastin, result in the decline of supple skin, silky strong hair and strong fast growing nails. Stress, poor diet, and toxins overload all contribute to dull dry brittle hair and brittle nails that never seem to grow.
5 foods that will help improve the overall all nutritional component and aid with amazing nails are:
- Almonds(raw organic): rich in Vitamin E (which supports collagen production) and Vitamin B(required to strengthen nails and hair)
- Dark Leafy Green: packed with Vitamins A, C,E, K and minerals including Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium which are crucial to the health of nails hair and skin.
- Salmon: high in omega 3 fatty acids(anti inflammatory) and Biotin (Vitamin B) aid with healthy nails. Inflammation impairs the development of the nail plate so obtaining a hit of omega 3 fatty acids is ideal for healthy nail development.
- Orange Root vegetable (sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot) are packed with Vitamins A and C and are ideal to supporting nail growth
- Eggs and Lean Meat which are high in protein, biotin , iron and zinc, all key nutrients for stronger and healthier nails.
Nails contain anywhere between 7 – 15% of water, so keeping hydrated is essential for beautiful healthy nails, however exposure to too much water can leave your nails soft, opaque and resulting in them to easily bend
Acrylics, Shellac(derived from insects) and UV baked polishes can lead to damage and brittleness of your nails. The process of adhering, sculpting or baking on polish results in the accumulation of liquids under nail bed. These liquids have no where to go, resulting in beautiful healthy nails to become brittle, paper thin and extremely soft. Discolouration of the nail plate is also extremely common with the prolonged use of these products. The removal process can also cause problems as they require the use of acetone, which will make your nail feel dry, weak, cracked and old.
Our hands are the most extraordinary instrument that mother nature has thrown to our disposal, and yes they deserve appreciation and our devoted attention. A study conducted by the American Society of Plastic Surgeon in June 2006 discovered that the best way to determine somebody’s age is by looking at their hand. They found that using a high quality non toxic nail polish and wearing jewelry, can strip years of the appearance of the hand, making you look vibrant and younger.
For natural and vibrant hands and nails, keep hydrated, incorporate a balanced diet, and keep active to reduce stress. Give your hands hands and nails the love and care they deserve. Massage pure olive oil into your cuticles and nails every night and apply 1-2 coats of LEMISSE 10 FREE non toxic nail polish as part of your regular nail care regime for your healthy, younger looking and stylish hands and nails.
Forget your cheap and nasty polishes, LEMISSE 10 FREE non toxic nail polish with added vitamins and calcium is the luxe you can depend on.